Monday, May 11, 2009

Return of (the) Spring Jam

photo by JP

The 'Jam' returns just as the spring returns. It occurred to me that the title I gave to this event, "The Return of Spring Jam", can be used in two ways - Since I'm bringing it back, it's the return of the event. Going forward, it's be the Return of Spring' Jam - therefore I can keep it for the annual event. Good, I'm glad you're with me on this.

After all the planning and running around - and mostly getting the house together, it was totally worth it. We had about 30 people, musicians and 'listeners', crammed in our small house and spilling out into the backyard. I stressed a bit over the logistics and how everyone would be situated and whether or not they'd want to plug into something. But after a while, I started to figure that it will be what it is and what's the point of worrying about it. The musicians just started playing music - like we do. The day progressed organically and music was pouring out onto Georgia street and filtering it's way out to the backyard as well. Pictures taken by Grego and Michelle can be found here: SpringJam Pics

I also got to reconnect with a couple musical Davids that I haven't seen in quite a while. David L. and I hitched cross-country in 1975 and I've known him since the early Seventies. We worked together at Pied Piper Pies in San Diego. And David F. and I worked together at Hewlett Packard back in the Eighties, where we had a standing conference room reservation to play music at lunch on Wednesdays. Falcon and I played Fogelberg's The Reach again after a bunch of years. Funny how it comes right back. I won't lose touch my friends again.

My buddy Grego manned the two video cameras, and kept them going through most of the party. So hopefully there'll be some righteous footage of some of the finer moments. I have yet to see the tapes.

Jane and I made two kinds of chili, a vegetarian pot and a meated one as well. The veggie one took the longest - we started that around 6 in the morning. The meat version was a bit overly meated but very tasty. All the fixins' as well, cheese, onions, cornbread Madelines. We'll not use Chinet bowls again though, they got a bit soggy. There is so much of everything left - we had to freeze a bunch. We'll be eating chili for a long time to come. I wish I liked beer more, we have many bottles left.

I have so much fun playing music with my friends, I will have it again next year. It will be better as I learn from my mistakes.

Next stop: the Stinson's SUMMER JAM out in Twain Harte in July. It's a goody!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time!

    Your profile lists singer-songwriters as one of your interests. I invite you to check out Just A Song, my blog about songs and songwriters. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete