Monday, April 6, 2009

The Need to Blog?

I don't seem to have a burning desire to write anything here anymore. I've opened this editor a couple times in the last few weeks, stared at it for a few minutes, then unceremoniously closed it again. I'll try to keep my self control together for at least a paragraph.

My band, Country Grunge finally managed to get together again after a long 45 day break. Since we didn't have any shows lined up, it was a nice break. But all four of us missed it. In the interim, we have gotten a couple new shows at Mission Pizza, our old haunt. The new thing, though, is that we're finally recording something. We have recorded in the past, but it's always been a "live' recording with microphones placed wherever they'd fit in the room. Rhys, (bass/guitar), brought in his iMac and we've recorded separate tracks of Normie's tune, "I Want To Test". Here's the file so far: http://grunge.philbearce.com/ Norm and I did the ooohh's and the background harmonies. I think it's good.

I haven't written anything since FAWM really, but I sent two of the songs that I never found the time to demo to my old songwriting buddy, Tim Ryan. He lives in Lahaina, Maui and is starting to get back into music a little. He just sent me an MP3 of his take on the song. Tim and I were called Pale Moon Sky at the very end of the last century - we had a good run. We had one of our songs from the CD This Feel Like Home played on a TV show. It was a good time. I was in my forties.

The next big thing on the horizon is the return of the 'Spring Jam'. "What's that?," you might ask. For ten years, I hosted my own annual event. Some years, it got pretty interesting with country pickers sitting in with punk drummers sitting in with Celtic harpers sitting in with guitar players of all stripes. - Then, along with my first marrige, that all ended. My friend and bandmate, Norm, took up the call, though, and hosted his own Jam in the summers up at his cabin in Twain Harte. - So I'm bringing it back in May. I've invited a couple FAWMers who live nearby, but I didn't want it to end up getting out of control with a lot of folk I don't know. Who knows, perhaps in subsequent years, we'll change it up.

Wow, I guess I found a few things to say. Heigh ho...

No comments:

Post a Comment